Monday, October 5, 2009

One of the hardest things about traveling is not having a routine. This is ironic, because breaking out of routine is usually a top reason to travel in the first place. But there are certain things that I like to do, but it's hard to fit them in while traveling. Let's say, for example, I want to do a yoga class. In Boulder I know of several good places to do yoga, some even with free classes, and I can easily fit it into my day. But while traveling in foreign lands, I hardly know where to begin. I would first need to find a studio either online or in a phone book, and then I'd have to see if the schedule would work. But then some places make you bring your own pad, and some places make you fill out paperwork, and some places just aren't that good. Needless to say, I haven't done a yoga class since I left.
I have gotten used to the overall flow of traveling though. In the first week I had a few low moments when I asked myself what the hell I was doing. I think I can handle that question better now, because I've been in enough situations before where I had to answer it. The thought process goes like this: "What the hell am I doing?" ... "Oh, yeah, I'm traveling around because I feel like I've been in one place too long and I feel like seeing new things and breaking out of routine will somehow open my eyes to profounder states of being, but really all that it'll do is make me realize that life doesn't have to be as complicated as we make it out to be, and that I can live a simple life just about anywhere, just so long as I'm in a healthy environment and around good people."

So that's what's happening on the mental plane. On the physical plane, I got into L.A. yesterday. Between L.A. and Portland, I spent three days in Berkeley with Chris Russell. He is living the artists dream right now. He's sharing a warehouse-type thing that's been converted into half artist workspace, and half living space. He has paintings up in two galleries right now, and he works in a bike shop. What more could a struggling artist ask for?
Miles picked me up from downtown L.A. last night, and we had a nice time reminiscing through L.A. traffic on our way to Riverside. The description of his living situation warrants its own blog post, complete with photos and maybe even video. I'll prepare that for later. I have the day to myself in Riverside while Miles is working, and then we're going to a drive-in movie tonight. So, yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing photos and videos of Miles' Riverside living conditions (I think).

    ReplyDelete