Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hobbying

I built my first piece of furniture. It's a small table/bookshelf of a sort that I've never really seen anywhere else, but it fits my particular needs and wants. It's a short table about 30 inches high, and since I like books and own a number of them, I put two shelves below. Most bookshelves are deeper than necessary and jut far out into a room, so for this creation I kept it shallow, making it just as deep as my deepest book. All the pieces are joined with mortise and tenons, cut with either a table saw, hand saw, or chisel. I worked on it in the off time while staying up in the mountains, and it took me about 4 weeks from start to finish.

P1010755
Hand sawing mortises


P1010754
Legs and shelf


P1010761
Gluing the whole shebang together


P1010773
Clamping the top tight as Miles and Birsco observe


P1010801
Unstained


P1010806
The Finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment